Thursday, August 25, 2011

Fresh Ginger Cake and the Sleeping Indian

A little bit of heaven..really

Who says that you can not fall in love with a cake? Can someone answer this question for me? I am not the biggest sweet eater, but oh my, my... this cake is like Brad is to Angelina. Just got to have it.

 As some of my readers have realized by now. I am a huge fan of David Lebovitz, and just got my copy of Ready for dessert (Tenn Speed Press)
Can you blame me for wanting to share this delicious recipe with you?? I am sure for those who spend the time making this amazing cake  you will not be disappointed in any way. It is like the Valentino of Haute couture. Stylish, sophisticated and unpredictably beautiful. To touch, taste and see. This cake is a full bodied cake that you will be completely over joyed with. In the original recipe the author uses mild- flavored molasses, but living in Sweden. It is really difficult to track it down, so I used (Lyle's black Treacle.)Which is made from cane molasses and is a export from England. Available on the internet or specialty stores.

Less is more with this cake. Perhaps a dollop of a good whipped cream, but I think this is a cake that can carry it's own. Go forth my happy foodies, and bake this cake!  Adapted(and tweaked) from David Lebovitz's Fresh Ginger Cake

use your processor for a fine mince

  • Ingredients:
  • 4-ounce (115-g) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1/3 cup (80ml) Lyle's black Treacle or any molasses available to you
  • 1 cup (200g) sugar
  • 1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil ( I used ½ cup sunflower and ½ cup corn oil)
  • 2½ cups (350g) all- purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon ground cloves
  • ½ teaspoon ground black pepper ( fine ground)
  • 1 cup (250ml) water
  •  2 teaspoons baking soda
2 large eggs, at room temperature


Method:


Makes one 9-inch (23-cm) cake 10-12 servings


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees f or 175 degrees C. butter the bottom and sides of a 9 inch spring-form or round cake pan with 2- inch sides and line the bottom with a circle of baking paper.


In a food processor fitted with the metal blade or with a chef's knife, chop the ginger until very fine. set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together the molasses, sugar, and oil. In a medium bowl, whisk the hot water into the molasses mixture, then add the chopped ginger.


Gradually sift the flour mixture over the molasses mixture, whisking to combine. Add the eggs and whisk until thoroughly blended. Scrape the batter into the prepared spring form pan or cake pan and bake until the top of the cake springs back when lightly pressed with a finger or a toothpick inserted into the center come out clean, about one hour.Let cool completely.


Run a knife around the sides of the cake to help loosen it from the pan. Invert the cake onto a plate, peel off the parchment paper, then re-invert it onto a serving platter.


Storage can be kept for up to 5 days as this cake is extremely moist. It can be also frozen for up to one month.


This past weekend we got to spend a fantastic overnight stay on the island of Stysrö. It is located outside of Gothenburg on the west coast of Sweden in the beautiful archipelago. Our good friends J. and T. and their family fed us to the stage of food coma, and The Goat played in the local club in the evening. 
I had to walk off some of that fantastic food, so I did a little island exploring and I wanted to share it with you all. I hope you enjoy some of my pictures. 
can you see it? The Sleeping Indian
Stysrö is a car less island. Our way of getting around. so much speed and fun
Scandinavia at it's most beautiful. Summer....
amazing day 
Thanks for dropping by, and welcome to my backyard.  

No comments:

Post a Comment